NANFA-- Re Daphnia

Mach Fukada (fukada-in-aloha.net)
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:04:33 -1000

Aloha everyone,
I work with Moina and Daphnia magna. The Moina tend to repropduce much
faster than the Daphnia and are smaller and perhaps better suited as food
for small fish. One the average the napuli are comparable or smaller than
artemia napuli and have been my means of keeping fry fed all the time
wtithout over feeding. I just dump some in and let them go until there
isn't any in the tank.

If you can produce lots of green water, it will be easy to to produce Moina.
But keep in mind they will go through a container of pea soup green water
so fast they will make your head spin. brewers yeast, powedered spuirulina
and ALGAMAC work out OK, but for me it was too easy to over feed. So far
you can't over feed with greenwater.

If any one wants a starter of either D. magna or Moina let me know. I will
scoop some out and send it along in breathing bags. Willing to do trades.
WHY
MTF

> Date: 04 Jun 2004 21:04:00 -0400
> From: geoff <gkimber2-in-alltel.net>
> Subject: NANFA-- daphnia
>
> I'm starting to believe in spontaneous generation.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I brought a 55 gallon tank outside to clean it.
> After cleaning it, I neglected to bring it back in. Then, it rained 8
> inches last week. Along the way, a bunch of algae grew in the tank.
>
> Tonight, I was checking the tank to see if any mosquitos had laid eggs
> in the tank.
>
> They hadn't but the tank is chock full of daphnia. Two weeks ago, this
> tank was totally empty and very clean.
>
> I would like very much to maintain a culture of daphnia in the fish room
> as a source of food for my pygmy sunfish and any juvenile fish that I am
> fortunate enough to breed.
>
> Any ideas on how to set this up? I have a couple of 15 gallon cattle
> feed containers that I would be more than willing to use.
>
> Geoff Kimber
> Lexington,KY

> / nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
> / nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:38:07 EDT
> From: IndyEsox-in-aol.com
> Subject: Re: NANFA-- daphnia
>
> In a message dated 6/4/04 8:09:17 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
> gkimber2-in-alltel.net writes:
> I would like very much to maintain a culture of daphnia in the fish room
> as a source of food for my pygmy sunfish and any juvenile fish that I am
> fortunate enough to breed.
>
> Any ideas on how to set this up?  I have a couple of 15 gallon cattle
> feed containers that I would be more than willing to use.
> http://fins.actwin.com/live-foods/
>
> Live Foods Mailing List
>
> Here is a link to the Live Foods List's archives.  I used to be on their
> mailing list (or maybe still am) but haven't gotten a message from them in
> couple years or so.  There used to be two lists.
>
> Liz told me she saw wild daphnia in a formal pond with a fountain on the
Art
> Museum grounds. I collected some.  Gives a whole new meaning to the term
> daphnia "Culture."    :>
>
> It was interesting that I could not see them in the water.  I stuck a wide
> mouthed plastic bottle next to some lillies and it came back with lots of
the
> little critters.  No fish in the pond but there were ducks and a decent
sized
> snapping turtle.  Seems like I've heard from more than one source that
when
> looking for wild daphnia always check duck ponds.
>
> I have other cultures of daphnia Magna and what I think is Russian Red
Moina