Re: NANFA-- Bully stonecats?

Mark (nanfa-in-jonahsaquarium.com)
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:36:43 -0400

At 8:12 AM -0700 6/8/04, matt ashton wrote:
>It is a 55 gallon, the stone cats are 4 to 5 inches the darters are
>2.5 to 3 the redfin shiners are about 2. I cannot veriffy 100%
>between bacterial or physical injury. I am going on the fact it
>shows up literally over night and is restricted to the same area on
>all fish.

I suppose it is certainly possible that the cats are the culprits.
Those are pretty large compared to the darters and minnows. I would
also keep in mind the possibility that the logperch are the
aggressors. So you just have to start removing people until you get
to the point where the damage stops. On the other hand, if you do
have a bacterial infection, that's not going to do the trick. You
should be able to identify it by color/transparency. Bacterial rot
generally appears as a whitish, opaque discoloration-in-the margins
or where ever it is heavily infected. Typically the fins erode
rapidly and it moves into the flesh and the fish die in a day to a
few days. You could also end up with both: The fins are physically
damaged by aggression and then infection sets in. Infection is
sometimes transfered to the mouth of the other fishes that are
attracted to the white color and nip-in-it, I mean even the other
darters and minnows.

--
Mark
Ohio