RE: NANFA-- Fundulus grandis/heteroclitus, Bruce Stallsmith

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:03:17 -0400

Grandis is noticeably more robust and tends to be longer. They're also
deeper bodied, and rarely if ever have a dorsal ocellus. Coloration of
grandis can be as variable as that of heteroclitus, one difference being
that grandis will rarely have any dark spots on the body, and any lateral
stripes disappear with size, not always the case with heteroclitus.

Grandis and heteroclitus side-by-side are obviously different,-in-least to
my eye. But if you take similis and majalis, that's a different story.
Similis have a longer, pointier head, other than that any differences are
subtle to the naked eye.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Mark <nanfa-in-jonahsaquarium.com>
>To: nanfa-in-aquaria.net
>Subject: NANFA-- Fundulus grandis/heteroclitus, Bruce Stallsmith
>Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:06:59 -0400
>
>I think Bruce will know this, but if others do, please speak up: Are there
>any morphological differences between Fundulus grandis and Fundulus
>heteroclitus? OK, I mean differences that are visible to the naked eye?
>Thanks!
>
>--
>Mark
>Ohio
>USA
><))><
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.