Re: NANFA-- re: policy on grey publication & collecting

Frauley/Elson (fraulels_at_minet.ca)
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 07:03:48 -0500

D. Martin Moore wrote:

> >From what I understand, Peru and Brazil are entirely different
> animals. Even U.S. ichthyologists in good standing are hesitant to
> go to Brazil any more.

It all ends up inter-related. One of the respected and reputable
hobbyist collectors who in the past had worked with Brazilian scientists
was arrested illegally collecting fish - in what appeared to be a
'making an example' set-up. In desperation, he claimed an ongoing
connection with a Brazilian organization. It wasn't true, but resulted
in the Brazilian scientists being questioned by their fish and wildlife
branch. Nothing turned up but the suspicion remains, apparently, and
results in serious credential checks and seemingly over-zealous
investigation of field work, specimen collections etc.
That, IMHO, is what was behind the original message.
Gary