NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #1216

Arlus Farnsworth (arlusf_at_cwnet.com)
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:17:43 -0800

Don't forget to insulate your tank also. There would have to be some air
exchange, but minimize this. If you have a nice low tech planted tank
with soil substrate the need for gas exchange is not an issue, just a
personal conjecture and not demonstrated in my case. However I have seen
on the market completely sealed ecosystem executive desk toy tanks that
last a few years at best. Opening the box for feeding should provide
plenty of daily exchange. I have bubble wrap around my cold tank with
particle board on the outside, and an extra panel of plastic for the
front, with an air gap. During the summer my apartment is an oven - I
can barely make enough ice to keep the temperature nice in the tank
without the insulation. I lost one fish to some aspect of new tank
syndrome but not temperature, still not sure exactly what the cause
was... don't let your friends feed your fish, if they do it anyway never
let them in your house again. The previous design had a box built of 1.5
inch thick foam insulation board with double pane plastic windows. I am
planning to create a cold room. Some people have set up creeks in the
basement for this purpose, but since I don't have one... the plan
continues.
Arlus