NANFA-- Native Americans and Darters!

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:27:49 -0500

<x-flowed>
Hello all, Since I cannot send messages to this list, I had to use one to
reply on, to send a message! I have an off the wall subject that someone
out there might be able to share a little insight on:

I was looking at a web site which was featuring stories about the Shawnee
Indians and Tecumseh in particular.

Anyway, what I couldn't help but wonder after reviewing many of these
sights and admiring the wonderful clothing of these people, is IF they had
any insight or encounters with Darters in the streams????? Shawnee, in
particular spent a lot of time in areas where Darter's diversity is so
great.

Native Americans, as most of us know, seemed to have had such a spiritual
connection with the land that sustained them. They spent a lot of time near
rivers and streams. Their clothing was inspired so much by the natural
world surrounding them, and in my opinion, some of the clothing even seems
to remind me of the interesting colors and patterns of which many Darters
boast on their bodies. Is it possible their is some connection???.....

Seeing that Native Americans, in order to survive, seemed to have a
wonderful understanding of why resources and nature should be respected, I
am concluding this subject by asking if anyone out there can shed some
light on whether they knew about fishes other than the larger edible food
sources they sought???? Namely, because of the fact they spent a lot of time
near Darter habitats, and that much of their clothing design puts me in
mind of some of the DARTERS?????

What, if anything, did they know about these jewles of nature??? Did
perhaps they come into contact with them during their time spent near
streams and rivers??? Have their been any accounts in writing that would
suggest such an encounter with Darters in any way at all???.. We looked at
records kept by early ichthyologists that describe such fish, but who was
the first to encounter these wonderful fishes??.. Since the Native Americans
were here before we were, I just couldn't help but wonder all about
this.. Okay... Comments???.. Answers??.. I'm all eyes! HA!

Rob Carillio