Re: NANFA-- plants

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:47:38 -0500

Although I don't have any to spare, I highly recommend Java fern. It really
doesn't have many demands and will put up with anything from acid water to
brackish. It doesn't need much light, either. The cleanest tank I have for
my over-fed mollies is a twenty gallon with lots of mature java ferns on the
bottom and a canopy of watersprite on the top. Both species soak up
nitrogen wastes.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Butts" <richbutts44_at_yahoo.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 11:36 PM
Subject: NANFA-- plants

> When I was about 10 years old in 1955, I got a 10 gallon fish tank at
Woolworths department stome. It had a slate bottom and steel sides. My
only luxury were a cat fish and 2 zebra danios. My gravel came from the
beach at Indian Lake in Worcester, MA as well as most of the plants. I had
no light for the tank, but it was full of plants that came from the marshy
area aroung the lake. My favorite plant was dandylions. Of cource they
would start to faid in a few weeks, but there was an endless supply of
goodies that came from the lake. I bet I had the best non lighted tank on
gifford drive. :~) The swamp grasses were able to last a long time with no
help at all.

> That is the beauty of Nanfa. There is a lot of great stuff around there
that goes well in a small tank or pond.

> Is there anyone out there that has access to a large weed pile of water
plants that I could have. Something that would grow well in a Massachusetts
summer pond and make lots of oxygen for the fish. Even water hyesynth would
be good, if not unique. Any suggestions? I still have a good supply of
Dandylions :-) LOL