Re: NANFA-- casey creek KY collecting

Al G Eaton (sege7_2000_at_yahoo.com)
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:22:41 -0800 (PST)

I've collected in Casey County several times, mostly
in Trace Creek and caught the same group of species.
I think you probably caught stigmaeum in the summer
too, as at first I didn't id them in the field there
correctly either. It wasn't until I got them home
that I noticed they looked a little odd for juvenile
greensides lol. Unfortunately, speckled darters
quickly lose their colors in warmer water. In Casey
County you can also find Tippecanoe darters. That is
cool about the spotted darters. Usually if you find
spotted darters you also find bluebreasts, but in that
part of Ky if you find Orangefins then they replace
the Bluebreast. In that stream you should also be
able to find KY snubnose darters, Etheostoma
rafinesque. The reason you probably didn't, is that
they really don't like current all that much and are
more likely to be found in shallow water and areas
with submerged and emergent plant growth. So you
probably didn't sample the niche they are in. Trace
Creek is very similar to Casey Creek. The gravel is a
mixture of chert and shale, mostly chert, and there
are stretches of dark gray clay.

Another fish you should look for in that area is the
Elegant Madtom, its a very pretty Madtom. I believe I
caught several there, but at the time I didn't know
how to tell the difference between Northern Mountain,
and Elegant Madtoms so I let them go.

In the County seat of Liberty, just east of the main
drag there is a waste treatment plant next to the
Green River. A series of Riffles has the same darter
species already mentioned (not spotted afaik) and you
can catch spotfin shiners. I know its a common fish,
but they are really pretty this time of year and make
excellent aquarium fish, always active and curious.
Being crevice spawners they shouldnt be that hard to
spawn either.

Klaus

=====