Re: NANFA-- Steinbeck now

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:02:53 -0500

Thanks, John, and now that I'm fully awake let me finish my thought about
Steinbeck's biology interests. The book I briefly mentioned is "The Log From
The Sea of Cortez", and it's based on a 1940 trip from Monterey, CA, down
along the Baja California coast. The legendary biologist Edward "Doc"
Ricketts hired a sardine boat for an extended collecting trip, and Steinbeck
went along. Ricketts didn't have a doctorate but wound up defining our
knowledge of intertidal invertebrates, especially, through what was
collected and observed on this trip. Ricketts shows up as a character in
Steibeck's Monterey-based novels, often as a confidant and protector of the
waterfront winos and brothel madames.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A