Re: NANFA-- RE: Mollusks

BG Granier (shinerscoop_at_bellsouth.net)
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:17:14 -0600

Thanks Matt,

That explains a lot, but I really didn't know of anything called a
"Fingernail" clam before! I live and learn a lot more every time I sign on
to this NANFA list!

Regards,

BG
----- Original Message -----
From: "matt ashton" <ashtonmj2003_at_yahoo.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-- RE: Mollusks

> Youd be surprised how well a mussel can withstand desication as long as it
is kept somewhat damp. The bags we use to collect are a really absorbant
sythetic and the mesh just sucks up water...inadvertantly some juvies fall
out of the bag and weve found them alive in the gunnels of the boats in some
damp sand weeks and weeks later...they kinda go dormant im sure Jeremy can
elaborate more on this a bit more specifically I just know from what ive
seen in surveys. My guess is this is some sort of fingernail clam though but
again all it needs is a fish to drop it off once its larval and we all know
how fish can get into anything. Especialyl that being right next to the Miss
im sure a nice rain goes over the banks and bammoo you have fish dropping
glochidia off.