Re: NANFA-- Late entry into the Pickerel discussion

Wally Billingham (wally_pike_at_hotmail.com)
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:50:12 -0500

Michael,

Yep I have fed crayfish as well and they do eat them, (I have also tried
dragon fly nymphs work as well). In my house the "pet store rejects" that
are dead end up in the rockbass tank where they last for about 1/1000th of a
second ;-)

I guess my pickerel have never gotten hungry enough to eat a dead goldfish,
as the little beasties eat quite well.

Wallty
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Wolfe" <mwolfe_at_mindspring.com>
To: "nanfa" <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 6:47 PM
Subject: NANFA-- Late entry into the Pickerel discussion

> I know this is late and you mostly have addressed the issue, but just to
toss in my personal experience...

> A hungry red fin pickerel will take a recently dead feeder fish... Mine
(from the Okefenokee II return to the swamp) had not had anything in a while
(around here that can be a week plus). He saw me approach the tank and
"knows" that I usually drop in feeders... so he came forward and was waiting
for one... I dropped in one of the pet store rejects that had died... and he
broke the surface of the water, practically catching the feeder before it
hit the water... relatively loud noise, small splash and a big minnow eating
grin on his face... then he looked up at me and wanted another one. After
three he usually lets them swim around and rests. Then they start
disappearing a few every day until he is all alone in his tank again.

> Another prey item (or failed tank mate depending on how you look at it)
was a trio of small crayfish that I though would make an excellent "clean up
crew" for my rather messing eating friend (yes, sometimes he wounds things
and then loses interest... particularly if there are other "moving
targets"). They were cautious enough to last for several weeks (at least
the largest of the three)... but eventually they made the wrong move and all
I found of the big guy was claws.