Re: NANFA-- Interactions between Gambusia, Heterandia and

Michael Sandel (kwksand_at_yahoo.com)
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:43:47 -0800 (PST)

Well, I would like to quickly correct a statement that I made in my last post. The Gambusia I have are aggressive when they become acclimated to the aquarium. Some of my Leptolucania's are now missing parts of their fins, and the darn things are even taking strikes at my precious Elassomas! This morning, my sculpin is being very well fed. :)
Michael

Sajjad Lateef <sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
Thanks for your comments, Mike.

I am always tempted to try Gambusia in a community tank with
other species from the same area. It just so that I can personally
observe how aggressive they are, if at all. Perhaps some other time.

The livebearer tank has Hets and Mollies and they get along fine.
But, the Hets seem to be outcompeting or breeding faster than
the Mollies. I do have a male fish with a jet-black underside
which is quite small and looks like a cross between the two species.
It may just be a stunted, color-variation of the Molly.

It's good to know about J. floridae. I haven't kept any in years.
But, they are very pretty fish and I should get some again. When
I have an outdoor pond going later this summer, I'll obtain some
from the pet shop and pop them in the pond. I was originally
thinking of C. varigetus for the pond. We'll see ...

Thanks,
Sajjad