OFF TOPIC to Dave about Garra tubercles Re: NANFA-- Re: Thanks... (long)

tony (anutej_at_loxinfo.co.th)
Fri, 12 May 2000 21:49:56 +0700

Most Garra species male have tubercles on the snout but not on the forehead
and the body, but Garra of the fuliginosa species complex have males with
protruding forehead [ala frontosa cichlid] which in some species have sharp
tubercles on it. Actually, there is not much specimens in breeding condition to
really go into details of tuberculate pattern study but I think stonerollers will
beat most Garras in the "horn" department. There is cyprinid of the subfamily
Cyprininae - Labeonini [Bangana behri] which has lots of facial tubercles and very
large protuding forehead so big that the native name means "[rhino] horn fish".
Back to the tubercle topic, most of the common large barbs [tinfoil and
yellowfin type] and sharks have facial tubercles while in large male barbs caught
at their prime in the spawning season have tubercles cover the whole body and
parts of fins. Also I have Barilius/Opsarius species [mini trout-like in body
form] from Salween river in Thailand/Myanmar border which develop large muscular
chest [so much that the head bend up like macho man], long dorsal fin [ala
Cyprinella] and fine tubercles all over the head, body, and fins! No surprise
that the whole tank become the battle field with some casualities but some babies
show up a few weeks later. Another large cyprinid with lots of tubercles is
Probarbus jullieni whose male in the study on the spawning ground in Laos turns
black with tubercles cover the whole body.
In the previous response about yellowfin shiner are all yellowfins and
greenheads similar in term of husbandry and ability to retain color? Is the
bandfin and strip shiner anything of great beauty like crescent shiner? Have you
or anyone keep and breed western type of rosefin shiner [fasciolaris] and
pinewoods shiner?
When will the Mississippi convention begin? I do not think I will go but
just in case.
Tony