Re: NANFA-- Fw: AKA Convention

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Thu, 25 May 2000 21:12:34 EDT

Whatever the exact truth to BG's analysis of the AKA, it is true that the
AKA has been succcessful at building capital reserves. This is mostly the
result of having a large, successful convention annually for the past 30+
years. The convention features very large auctions of fish, with the host
club and esp. AKA getting a cut. (Could we auction madtoms or interesting
shiners en masse? Probably not...)

There is nothing inherently wrong with this. The AKA does an excellent job
publishing the Journal of the AKA, and publishes a series of important
publications such as the Killifish Master Index. Could the AKA do more? As
an AKA member I would say so, but in truth this is largely dependent on
members doing it after proposing and developing ideas. And maybe tropical
hobbyists on average don't as directly feel the brunt of habitat destruction
in distant ecosystems; the waters we're interested in are literally in our
neighborhoods.

As with the ALA, I don't think NANFA has a crisis of too much money!

--Bruce Stallsmith
AKA #4192
Huntsville, AL