NANFA-- new goodeids

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Sun, 13 May 2001 08:59:15 -0400

Since NANFA is concerned with the fishes of Canada, the United States, and
Mexico, I thought I'd start to learn something about Mexican fishes. For
the most part, I'm entirely unfamiliar with them.

I started with some red tailed goodeids, Xenotoca eiseni. I bought five at
an auction at the Potomac Valley Aquarium society. Despite their reputation
for meanness, they aren't picking on each other. I put the three males and
two females in a ten gallon tank, with floating plastic plants, java moss,
and java fern. They've had some fry, and so far, no one seems to be
bothering them.

Pierre Gagne also gave me four Butterfly goodeids, Ameca splendens, and a
bunch of blue tailed goodeids, all of which I put in another ten gallon.
Pierre thought he had given me four females, and for a few weeks, everyone
in the tank seems to have been getting along well. I haven't been paying
too much attention to them as I've been busy with baseball season. Anyway,
I looked in the tank, and one of them had the yellow tail fringe of the
male. It seems like this fish matured over night.

He's apparently quite feisty, as well. I don't have any gravel in the tank,
and he's apparently spending a lot of his time trying to beat up his
reflection in the tank bottom. All the females and the blue tailed goodeids
in the tank with him have all taken to hiding being the java moss and
floating plastic plants in the tank.

I'm planning to move them outside in June, when the weather should be warm.