NANFA-- Fw: sheep's head

Mark (mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com)
Mon, 14 May 2001 23:52:12 -0400

Thought this might be of interest from the other list:

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Cunningham <DCunning_at_shoreham.net>
To: president_at_nativefish.org
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:40:46 -0400
Subject: sheep's head

I'm helping with amphibian research in Ward Marsh which is next to the
Poultney River which feeds into Lake Champlain in the state of Vermont.
Two days ago I was walking along the edge of the marsh after collecting
data on amphibians when I saw a large dark mass near the shore. When I
got closer I saw that it was a large group of fry that where swimming in
a protective mass. There might have been a thousand of them or at least
hundreds. I then notice that there was a large fish that was with
them. Mother? Father? This fish was over 2 feet long and had a blunt
head with short whiskers which she pointed ahead of her. There was a
large false eye on her tail and the pectoral fins where a wonderful neon
powder bluish color. I don't notice much if any dorsal fin. The young
swam around and under her for protection. The mother didn't wish to
swim into deeper water, I would guess since there was more danger of
perdition in that location. Might you know what this fish is? I was
told that a local name for it was Sheep's Head.

David Cunningham