NANFA-- RE: nanfa V1 #2074

David Soares (apistodave-in-bendcable.com)
Sun, 30 May 2004 07:36:24 -0700

Help NANFA people! I am helping Dr Benjamin Keck and Dr Uwe Romer with a
great little project. They are going to write and publish a Baensch Atlas
covering the subject of North American Darters. Any of you folks who can
help out with literature or specimens, it would be greatly appreciated. I am
going to go see Uwe in Sept (to say Hi and get some of my favorite fish
apistogramma) and would like to take him some Darters/written stuff. Any
help would be greatly appreciated. If you send specimens please incl as much
info (location,temps, Ph, hardness etc as you can) THx everyone.;

Soft Water Dwarf Cichlids
David Soares and Uwe Romer
14866 Bluegrass Loop
Sisters Or 97759
E-mail: apistodave-in-bendcable.com
Website:http://www.apistogrammaidiots.com/
Ph/541-549-9350

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-digest-in-aquaria.net

Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 6:45 AM
To: nanfa-digest-in-aquaria.net
Subject: nanfa V1 #2074

nanfa Sunday, May 30 2004 Volume 01 : Number 2074
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 22:57:10 -0400
From: Irate Mormon <archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net>
Subject: RE: NANFA-- exotic species impact

Quoting Bruce Stallsmith <fundulus-in-hotmail.com>:

> The Rockies have
> been rising for the last 25 million years or so, which has separated
> watersheds for a period of time.

I thought isolation often results in high diversity?? Or maybe I am
thinking of
endemism. In the east we have the Appalachians - why is diversity higher
there?
Because of the age difference?

- --Irate
Charter member, DNRC

I think I understand the true meaning of diversity. If I attack traditional
values it's "free speech." If I attack the protected groups it's "hate
speech."

/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 22:59:45 -0400 From: Irate Mormon <archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net> Subject: Re: NANFA-- American eels?

Quoting "Snailcollector-in-cs.com" <Snailcollector-in-cs.com>:

> I just got a 7" American eel. Do you have any information about keeping this > > fish?

It will slither out through the top of the tank, and dry up on your carpet :-(

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 23:20:33 -0400 From: Irate Mormon <archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net> Subject: Re: NANFA-- American eels?

Sorry, I guess I was too late.

Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 08:52:57 -0400 From: "Bruce Stallsmith" <fundulus-in-hotmail.com> Subject: RE: NANFA-- exotic species impact

Yeah, long isolation often results in adaptive radiation, if there's available habitat and resoures for the species already present. Also, parts of the modern west ooast are recent additions to the continent, being smaller slivers of land that before attachment had been offshore archipelagos with probably low freshwater fish diversity.

And the Appalachians are an ancient mountain group, dating back to around 240 million years if I remember correctly as the supercontinent Pangaea was breaking up. They also have never been glaciated in that period of time. One

example of this long-term stability is that much of the Tennessee River has been in its current basin for around 80 million years.

- --Bruce Stallsmith Huntsville, AL, US of A

Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:05:37 -0400 From: Irate Mormon <archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net> Subject: RE: NANFA-- exotic species impact

Adaptive radiation - that's good! OK, I think I have a better handle on it now. Thanks.

Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 08:44:26 -0500 From: "Mark Otnes" <markotnes-in-msn.com> Subject: NANFA-- Ready for the convention

I'm all set to come down to the convention. It's been a very cold May here in North Dakota and I've done absolutely no snorkeling whatsoever. The bird migration has been magnificent, but now it's time to put away the binoculars and don the waders, swim trunks, or snorkel gear!

p.s. The main reason I'm sending out this rambling message is because I've had my computer in the shop for a week being rebuilt and upgraded and I want to test my e-mail and listserve connections.

Mark Otnes Fargo ND