ULVA WAS Re: NANFA-- Milfoil Update/Wintering Pond Plants

Dave Littlehale (littled_at_cris.com)
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:45:16 -0500

I don't think there is much literature on the subject of growing marine algae.
The Sears-Conlin paper you refer to is the source for information on setting up
and maintaining a fw planted aquaria. I don't know how that information would
translate to growing marine algae.

My first thought would be examine the amount of light. For fw plants the amount
of light you are looking for is between 2-4 watts/gal. The 2 watts is for the
plants needing less light like anubias, java fern, crypts. 4 watts is for many
bunch plants and amazon swords. As you get into the higher light intensities you
need to add CO2 and a liquid fertilizer to maximize growth. But again, this is
fw; I'm not sure about marine algae. Caulerpa, a tropical marine algae, grows
well in reef tanks (high light intensity and plenty of micro nutrients).

Bob, your experience with Ulva is exactly like mine; though, I never went out of
my way to try to make it grow. Like you said it just sits there.

I would throw as much light at it as you can.. The light should be full
spectrum. If you have a 2 tube reflector, maybe add an actinic bulb? Look into
some coral trace elements if you really want to go crazy. I'd start with the
light and try to determine what your next limiting factor is going to be. Good
luck.

Don't know if we want to continue this off line.

Dave Littlehale