Re: Tank Raised Vs. Wild; was: Re: NANFA-- native killifish take the

Frauley Elson (fraulels_at_minet.ca)
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:19:58 -0500

For me as an aquarist, any spawning from my natives is more satisfying to see than
the same from my tropicals. The artificial environment of a northern home, with
heat and lighting, makes tropical fishkeeping easier than keeping natives.
And for me, my US species of rainbow and greenside darters are as exotic as any
tropical. I'm as likely to go to Peru as to Ohio.. although I've driven by Peru,
Maine, a couple of times...
Getting hold of and breeding some of the southeastern US killies is an ambition of
mine. I think my ambition, a recent one, is unoriginal. I hope so. I'm hearing of
a lot more interest in native killies, especially since the AKA held its
convention in Florida and took the convention crowd fishing. I'm hoping for
captive bred native fish to gain a toehold in the killie hobby after that event.
-Gary