Re: NANFA-- Antibiotics

Irate Mormon (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:37:11 -0600

Part of the problem is that people don't continue use of antibiotics for the full course of the treatment, which is typically 7-10 days.
This practice is largely responsible for resistant bacterial strains. But I don't agree that it's sound doctrine to avoid using antibiotics
for treatment because a resistant strain may develop - that's just plain silly. What about as prophylaxis? My thoughts are as
follows: 1) It's very effective 2) I have not heard of a problem with antibiotic resistant bacteria in aquaria (commercial aquaculture may
be another story) 3) There are alternatives to antibiotics

I would venture the opinion that the "resistant strain" theory is way overblown in the case of ornamental fishes. I also conjecture that
bacteria can develop resistance to treatments other than antibiotics.

On 11 Nov 2002 at 22:59, Travis Haas wrote:

> Does anybody else have "bad feelings" about using antibiotics?
>
> Granted, I hate to see innocent life perish as a result of what was
> probably my error, but in my case, I don't think I've ever seen a
> successful recovery from disease in a specimen (after treatment, that
> is), and the world has antibiotic resistance problems to deal with
> because of excessive use of antibiotics on human patients alone ("My
> toe hurts, doc - can I have a prescription?")
>
> This isn't meant to push my opinions in any way. I'm just curious to
> know what other people think.
>
> For discussion on this topic from the perspective of a vet, I know
> there was a letter published in FAMA not too far back, essentially
> accusing Julian Sprung of using antibiotics as preventative medicine,
> if I remember right. And the vet thought that was a definite bad
> thing.
>
> So where do we draw the line?
>
> Travis Haas
> Appleton, WI
>
> Christopher Scharpf wrote:
> > Martin Moore, in his upcoming "Three Questions, Moore Answers"
> > column for American Currents recommends antibiotics in the
> > nitrofuran group, which are widely used in aquaculture and are
> > absorbed well by fishes, as opposed to many other popular
> > antibiotics such as tetracycline, which may be effective only
> > topically.
> >
> > Chris Scharpf
> > Baltimore
> -------- /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American
> Native Fishes / Association" / This is the discussion list of the
> North American Native Fishes Association / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word / subscribe,
> unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to /
> nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to /
> nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead. / For more information about
> NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS