RE: NANFA-- Antibiotics

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:06:31 -0500

<I am also wondering about the origin of this "resistant strain" of fish TB
whereof Mr. Huntley spoke. I know a lot of stuff has been
<circulated on the net about it, but really, is there any documented factual
basis for claims that this is a result of aquarium use of
<antibiotics? Other than a bunch of folks talking, I mean.

Mycobacterium marinum is a form of TB which can be transferred from fish to
humans. It is not necessarily a "resistant strain" in the fact that
unscrupulous anitibiotic use has caused it to be resistant, it is just that
the bacterium is slow growing and extremely difficult to erradicate from any
living system. Humans obviously pose a much more important study than fish
and that is why we can cure it in humans, although any future skin TB tests
that one who was exposed gets will read positive. It is a very real concern
for all aquarists that we, (and I), have taken for granted. Many people may
have it in your aquarium systems and if you chronically loose fish to
deformity, wasting away, open lesions, etc, you may be doomed. The best
cure for a system infected with Myco is to euthanize everything (not the
aquarist of course!) and use a 10% bleach solution on all equipment. For a
lesson in importance of fish TB, just look at the Lake Victoria cichlids and
the conservation program. Most, if not all, of the fish are infected and
will most likely never be released back into the wild. Many of them are
extirpated in the wild.

My comments are only for the Mycobacterium comment and not indicating that
undisciplined use of medication is the cause of it. I do believe that
antibiotics are very effective, when used for appropriate "bugs". The use
of water administered antibiotics for systemic infections is not effective.
The best way to make an antibiotic effective is to get it in the fish,
either through medicated food or injection. I never used to believe that
they work but over the past several years of working closely with a vet, I
am convinced that they do work. After all, fish are no different than
humans. (I take that back, they are better) Both are poorly understood.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485