RE: NANFA-- k-12 programs?

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:27:19 -0500

One thing that I did for a local tv program called "kazoo" was to show the
idea of riparian zone. I took two white buckets of water that had harmless
red food coloring which represented fertilizers and other pollutants. We
went to two spots along the river that runs through the zoo, one had
concrete to the river's edge and the other had trees and shrubs along the
edge. At both spots I dumped a bucket about four feet from the water. It
was a great demonstration of how trees, shrubs, and grasses absorb and
filter water before it gets to the stream itself. In the aquarium, you can
visually show how just a few drops of dye (fertilizer) can affect the water.
I am sure that they would like the field trip part of it also.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Dan Troxell
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 11:57 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- k-12 programs?

Does anyone have any experience/exposure/thoughts about any k-12 programs
out there incorporating a big-picture approach to water quality
using school-based tanks and native fish?

I've been thinking about some sort of involvment with my kids'
grade school either as a summer school thing or a project basis during the
year and have been trying to research other programs.

I've discoverd some watershed organizations and teachers workshops, and
others that encourage kids involvement like storm drain stencilling, but I
haven't seen anything "comprehensive" that pulls it into the school
system.

Dan Troxell

YourSound.com
Presenting Independent Music to the World!
2000 Winner of Boston Magazine's "Best Of Boston" for music websites!!
www.yoursound.com
617-818-8469
800-783-4110 fax