Re: NANFA-- internet clubs

Joshua L Wiegert (jlw_at_dune.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:39:01 -0700 (MST)

I agree with Todd -- it's probably not a problem that -needs- to be fixed
for NANFA. It's common to many, many clubs that set up an e-mail list,
even ones which are small, local clubs. E-mail is a quick way to reach
everyone -- you send a note to one address, and everyone sees, "Collecting
trip monday." With a phone list, or any other forum, you're left with a
lot of work. People are naturally lazy -- i know I am. :) You make it
more work, and no one wants to do it.

The best approach is to educate everyone out there that there is this
internet mailing list, tha thtere are internet forums, and so forth. That
way, no one is left out. Let's face it, in the US, -everyone- has an
e-mail address. People get e-mail at work, school, home, etc. THere just
aren't that many people left who don't have internet access. My 90-year
old grandmother can be reached by e-mail. I'm ten times more likely to
talk to someone via e-mail or instnat message than to pick up the phone
and call them -- after all, you odn't worry about calling at a bad time,
and (more importantly) it doesn't effect your phone bill to e-mail 30
people.

So, for my $.02 (not that any one asked me. :) my advice is tjust to let
people know that there -is- this e-mail list, tht they can talk to members
all over the country easilly, that people on it are not the axe-murders in
the organisation (it amazes me that the idea that everyone on the internet
is a psychopath still exists, when most everyone is on the internet), and
that it is free, conveinent, easy and fun.

If people do hold the idea that any club or group is an "intenret" only
group, my experience has shown that it's becuase tehy're inactive. They
don't really want to go to meetings, trips, and so forth. Calling the
club an "internet-group" is an easy excuse. Those that sincerely do wish
to do offline things, and somehow have this preconception usually shed it
very quickly when they hear about members activities. So at the same time
offline members need to be educated about the online front, the onlien
members need to be kept adviced of the offline front.