NANFA-- Re: NANFA Email Archive suggestion

Sajjad Lateef (sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com)
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:56:12 -0800 (PST)

--- Sajjad Lateef <sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> In order to protect email addresses on the NANFA email archive
> from being harvested by spammers, it was suggested that we modify
> the email addresses in the archive in a manner to make it
> hard or impossible for spammers to get at them.

Several people have sent in thier votes. Based on some comments,
I'd like to clarify a couple of things ...

This effort is to prevent spammers from getting your email
address and hopefully prevent *some* future spam from originating.

We cannot do anything about the spam you are already recieving.
You can, and should, run some form of spam filter on your
email inbox for the spam you are already recieving.
(Bill recommends a Bayesian filter, Bob Sinclair
recommends Postini, I am sure there are others).

All we are trying to do is reduce some of the future spam
you may get as a result of the NANFA email Archive.

We're trying with the best of intentions, but, we can't
guarantee we'll even make a difference.

(Personally speaking, I have not given up the battle against
spam and hope that it will end one day).

Sajjad

=====

--
Sajjad Lateef   e-mail: sajjad_at_acm.org
Note: Any e-mail to me with my first name in Subject  or