Re: NANFA-- Endagered Species Report

Steffen Hellner (steffen_at_hellner.biz)
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:25:30 +0100

How many species live on earth? Some say 10 millions, others say 30
millions. So what is 12.000 compared to that. Even if mankind accellerates
extinction rate, which is more than sad, there will be animals and plants
left. And nobody can tell which species is naturally being extinct or only
progressed by humans or caused by humans. Well, the Tiger is caused by
humans to get extinct very soon in the wild. Many other big cats will follow
for the same reason. For many species we (humans as we are) only force the
speed towards extinction. And some are tried to be safed though they are
biologically on the way to extinction, not caused by humans, e.g. the Panda.

OK, we are a virus to the world. But mostly every organism has to live with
viruses, end the do. Mankind is about to live with killer viruses like ebola
or aids but mankind won4t get extinct. Same I suppose mother earth to do.

I am deeply sad for each and every extinct species. And I am angry about it.
But we will need to build up Arches for many, many species in zoos, parks,
institutes and private areas to save more species at least in captivity if
not in the wild.

Go to Africa and see how many shimpanses and gorillas are killed for food
only because they are easier to hunt than gazelles. And people there don4t
care for any animal at all. Same in wide areas in SEA and South America.

Just my oppinion.

Steffen

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=1&u=/ap/20031118/ap_on_

-