Re: NANFA-- Changing water while dishwasher is running

Bill Flowers (bloomin_at_indy.net)
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:27:58 -0500

Moontanman_at_aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 11/18/03 10:24:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>IndyEsox_at_aol.com writes:
>

>> >I am surprised you use water from your hot water tap at all. Hot water is
>> >usually full of metallic contaminates.
>>
>> I question this. Why would it have more contaminants than cold water,
>> unless such materials were present in your hot water heater?
>>

>Actually there are heavy metals present in your hot water tank. They are
>often galvanized and the hot water leaches out the metals in the solder joints and
>such much faster than cold water. Also Hot water sits in the tank for many
>hours exposed to the heat and corrosive water. In a hot water tank you have many
>sources of metal ions, zinc, lead, tin, just to name a few.

Most of your newer water heaters are glass lined to avoid this
problem. Also in order for this to happen the water must be standing
for a couple of days. With a family of 4 the water in our heater is
getting replace on a regular basis.