Re: [RE: NANFA-- Olympic Mudminnows???]

Scott Burner (windburn_at_netscape.net)
26 Nov 99 19:10:24 EST

Both views well stated klaus and Jay.
Having recently witnessed a very heated debate over tree
harvesting in my state I have come to the conclusion that there is entirely to
much emotion overiding common sense on all sides of the conservation issue.
Information diseminated on both sides of the fence was biased and sometimes
downright deciteful.
Somehow,after heated debate and what many of my fellow conservationists
considered a resounding loss, The very thing I wanted to see happen occurred.
The buffer zone between streams, rivers and other boddies of water and logging
operations was increased. The value of this to the habitats of fish in
decreased silting et al is phenominal. My observations of many many years iin
the Maine woods tells me that logging is not nearly as devestating to other
fauna as to oour beloved fish and their environment.
There, that should bring a hail of bullets.
salutations,
Scott Burner
Cumberland Maine

"Jay DeLong" <thirdwind_at_att.net> wrote:
Shireen, that's really not always the case. At the NANFA convention, a
representative from Illinois DNR was invited to talk about regulations on
collecting fish in his state. It was obvious to everyone there, including
the DNR guy, that the laws were ludicrous. They were written in another
era. Even today you see terms like "rough fish" and "bait fish" that are
holdovers from a past era. These terms were developed to manage fish for
harvest (e.g., rough fish vs. game fish) and not to protect the fish
themselves. Fish have historically been treated as a harvestable resource.
I shared a specific example of the Olympic mudminnow to illustrate a real
life situation. State DNRs do not have the mandate to protect species the
same way the USFWS does. There are many cases where a species clearly in
need of protection doesn't receive it until the USFWS makes some noise that
they'll do it. Or a state will declare a species threatened or endangered,
yet fail to protect it from development or other human impacts. Or they
protect all fish from being collected for home aquaria to make managemnent
less complicated, like in my state.

In some states, laws that make it on the books stay on the books if they
aren't challenged or if they don't cause any problems. An example I recall
from the Illinois regs talk was that it is legal to collect a bowfin for
home aquaria providing the collecting gear is a gaff or bow and arrow. And
someone else help me with this if I'm wrong-- I think I remember that in
Illinois, darters are considered a game fish because the term "percid" was
used on the books to describe yellow perch, walleyes, etc. But darters
aren't listed in the fishing regulations, so legally they aren't a
harvestable game fish, but they aren't included in the bait fish regulations
because they are percids, so therefore can't legally be collected, even
though some darters are much more common that some of the "bait fish" which
are easily collected.

So if we don't compliment state regulators, it's because they're supposed to
know more than the general public, and they are supposed to do a good job.
It's what we pay taxes for. I never go into my grocery store and compliment
the employees for stocking the shelves so nicely, but I'm going to complain
if they do it wrong! :-)

I sure agree with Shireen about how some people treat the federal
government. Next time you hear someone complain about "big government"
remind them how the Endangered Species Act has saved many "little fish".

Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA