Re: NANFA-- Freshwater/brackish

Brian (bast_at_gis.net)
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:29:31 -0400

I looked for a cutoff point when doing water testing with Bridgewater State College.
The methods they use are taken from the USGS. I found no such thing.

We (BCAS/BCNHC) are located on the Taunton River in an area considered esturine/brackish.
We are near or at the upper limit of the estuary. At high tide the water reads
about 16-18 ppt. At low tide it is below our meager detectable limits. (an
aquarium salinity meter) Open ocean is 32 ppt.

At high tide we can siene up juvi. winter flounder and the occasional other
marine species. At low tide we have caught bluegills and largemouth bass.
The typical esturine species are always present in varying ratios.

Brian Bastarache
Natural Resources Dept.
Bristol Co. Agricultural School/
Bristol Co. Natural History Center