Re: NANFA-- Collecting in Wisconsin today

Richard J Rego (newzoo_at_juno.com)
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:23:05 -0500

Ok Moon,

Since no one else is helping you out, I will! :-) I would assume the
lumpfish we are talking about here is Cyclopterus lumpus. It occurs here
typically north of Cape Cod, where the waters are cold. Best known in
Europe, where their eggs are used for caviar. They reach up to 2 feet,
but we catch them up here along the rocky shore along the Cape Cod Canal.
In regards to keeping them in a tank, one word, CHILLER. It will be a
definite necessity, especially for the northern ranging specimens.
According to Petersons Field Guide, they can be found to Bermuda (but,
rarely). I would assume any Bermuda populations would not need a
chiller!?!?! See Petersons Field Guide, page 285.
Anyone else thinking of some other kind of lumpfish???

Rick Rego
MA/New England
NANFA Rep.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily
> Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send
> the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an
> email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command
> http://www.nanfa.org

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.