Re: NANFA-- Collecting on the St. John's River Plain

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:16:46 -0500

<x-flowed>
FWIW I believe that the addition of stress coat is more important than
providing aeration for trips shorter than
5 or six hours. Other factors come into play as well, temperature
surface area etc. But, the fish that I bring home that were exposed to
stress coat are more likely to survive the first week than those
without. Haven't tried Novaqua.

John

geoff and julie kimber wrote:

>re: fish dying in transit-
>
>I have had good results using stress coat and transporting the fish in
>kordon breathable bags.
>
>I recently transported some caribbean gambusia or limia (I haven't id'd them
>yet) along with a bunch of tropicals from my uncle's house in NY back to
>lexington. The tropicals were in a bag for about 24 hours and the gambusia
>were in a bag for about 72 hours. They were packed pretty heavily and I
>didn't leave any air in the bags to reduce sloshing.
>
>I have used this technique for over a year with pretty good results, except
>when I foolishly tried to transport silversides from the okeefenokee this
>spring.
>
>Geoff Kimber
>Lexington,KY
>/ Association"
>/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association
>/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org
</x-flowed>