RE: NANFA-- exotics

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:29:08 -0400

I think you've keyed in on the frustrations of the actual staff of the EPA :)

I couldn't agree more Moon. And unfortunately, it seems I've misrepresented
myself by trying to keep my comments related to aquaria and not provoke any
smoldering embers tied to political or environmental ideologies and or
principles. If that were to happen (a total ban), you're right... It'd just
be another case of "greenwashing".

I'd go on, but it's going to be pure sociology/politics/economics and I still
heed the plea made a few weeks ago.

So know that I am in full agreement and any other comments would be best
served with adult beverages and fried food around a campfire where we can all
see each other's mannerisms and especially... my chitt-eatin' grin :)

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Moontanman_at_aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 4:54 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- exotics

I'm glad to hear that some of you are willing to give up the aquarium hobby
if it means no more exotics will be released by aquarists and the threat to
our environment posed by aquarium animals would be eliminated. Unfortunately
the aquarium hobby is just a drop in the bucket and if aquarium fish were
outlawed completely habitat destruction, release of exotics, and other
environmental problems would continue on. The elimination of the aquarium
hobby wouldn't fix anything because by far the worst threats to our
environment are not caused by fish keeping but by construction, pollution,
filling in of wetlands, legal exotic releases, clear cutting of forests, high
way construction, the list goes on and on but these things will not stop
because i can't keep fish any more but the people who make the rules can crow
at the top of their lungs about how they are doing something about the
problems because they have eliminated the evils of home aquarium abuse! When
you want to really solve a problem you go after the biggest problems not the
small ones. I used to be involved with quality control in a large company. If
I had approached problems by making a big show of eliminating tiny problems
and leaving the big ones I wouldn't have been allowed to continue
investigating the problems.

Moon
-