Re: NANFA-- Re: Mullet [not NA]

B.G. Granier (bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:24:07 -0500

Todd,

I have witnessed the same phenomenon<sp? with the detested Bowfin, Amia
calva fish. If the fish is cleaned while freshly caught, not having been
rinsed in cold water, much less "iced", it is very palatable when flash
fried in very hot oil...........

Even better, is to clean the fish while it is still alive and then pat dry
with a paper towel.............

If even iced, or worse frozen, the flesh becomes cottony and is not very
good to eat.

BG
----- Original Message -----
From: "Crail, Todd" <tcrail_at_northshores.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 4:15 PM
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Re: Mullet [not NA]

> What I always do is bore people who "don't like fish" with a dissertation
on the ill tastes of left over Lactic Acid and Adenosine Diphosphate from
the rigor processes... Especially in piscovores who's muscles are designed
to make fast bursts of anaerobic activity and as you said, get drug around
all day in a marathon of sorts and really building up the lactic acid in the
muscles. All the biochem usually quickly convinces them that if they'll at
least try my fish, I'll shut up :) And then we have new champions of eating
fresh fish as an outcome.

> I agree. Pike are darned tasty out cold cold water and straight from the
line to the board to the grill/oven/pan. People seem to whine about
"hammerhandles" but oh man... Their Y bones zip out the easiest, the bones
that are left cook out and that meat is so so so so tasty. Over 28" should
just go back in the water ;)

> Todd

had a name of winmail.dat]