Re: NANFA-- OT: full spectrum lighting

Sajjad Lateef (sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com)
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:07:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jay DeLong <thirdwind_at_att.net> wrote:
> I see there are some household light manufacturers (not aquarium
> lighting)
> claiming they have full spectrum bulbs, and they say the way they
> achieve
> that is by absorbing yellow wavelengths. Is that just a trick to our
> eyes
> (i.e., aesthetics; my suspicion) or is there something to that claim
> (e.g.,
> would they be beneficial to house plant growth)?

I just got my first Full Spectrum bulb (GE Chroma 50) in the
bright orange cover (I forget the marketing name). I can't tell
the difference between that and a cool daylight bulb by looking
at the light. In another month or so, I can tell you if these
Chroma 50 bulbs make a planted tank grow better than cool daylight.

I'd be very disappointed if I don't get better results than
with a cool daylight bulb since it costs almost 3X. ($6.50
for a 2ft bulb).

Sajjad

Sajjad

=====