NANFA-- Skinny SRBD

Mark (nanfa_at_jonahsaquarium.com)
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:00:10 -0400

<x-flowed>
At 9:40 PM -0400 9/1/03, Todd Crail wrote:
>Lemme get through the Michiana Convention on the 20th and then I'll be out.
>We can hit that stream and the riffle on Killbuck. Hopefully by then I'll
>have cleared out all of my pumpkinseeds and warmouth to the school projects
>and be ready for beaucoup minners for my own native viewing pleasures.
>
>I don't think a RSBD is going to pass up a nice steak dinner just cause
>someone said they're algavores :) It's interesting tho. I wonder if it's
>not some other selective pressure? Perhaps the population hasn't recovered
>from leaner years (ie the selection was for smaller body size instead of big
>brutes by spawn season)?

I will need to get a wet suit before I snorkle that cool little
stream. The SRBD look emaciated. They are full grown fish, but
skinny. I think the Clinostomus are able to prey on flying insects,
like mosquitos, by jumping out of the water to take them in the air.
Their large, upturned mouths are suited to this. The Phoxinus, with
their tiny, subterminal mouths, can't do that. That have to compete
with everyone else for the subaquatic foods. Even the insects may be
scarce below the surface due to limited nutrients in the food chain.
Just an idea.

SRBD = southern redbelly dace
</x-flowed>