Re: NANFA-- Remove center brace from 75-gallon

Bill Flowers (bloomin_at_indy.net)
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:48:58 -0500

I wouldn't recommend removing the center brace. Manufacturers years
ago used to make the larger tanks out of thicker glass and with no cross
brace. When they went to the cross brace they went to thinner glass. I
have an old(20+ years) 55 gallon that doesn't have the cross brace.
After 15 or so years the tank started to leak at the seams. I contacted
the manufacturer about the problem to see if I could buy a top frame
with a cross member to replace the one with out. That is when I found
out they went to a thinner glass and the newer frames would not work. I
tried to silicone a piece of glass across the center to act as a brace
but to no avail. When I added water the silicone stretched enough that
the tank still bowed and i was afraid that it would eventually give
away. I now have a 55 gallon tank that would be good for snakes or
lizards. But wouldn't trust it with water anymore. If anybody is
interested in the tank contact me off the list. It is just taking up
space in my shed now.

Bill Flowers