Re: NANFA-- SOSC was Bluenose shiner news

B.G. Granier (bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:15:36 -0500

John,

You make a valid point, but let's see action instead of merely
"lip-service". Maybe NANFA could help bring this about, in which case, I'd
be all for!

Thanks for your observations.

Best Regards,

BG
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Bongiovanni" <bongi_at_cox-internet.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 10:46 AM
Subject: NANFA-- SOSC was Bluenose shiner news

> Its my turn to weigh in! This issue seems to have grown from a simple
rumor. I think NANFA should take a stand on the collection of "species of
special concern (interest)" regardless of the legal definition found from
state-to-state.

> As part of the NANFA bylaws, responsible collecting/sampling is called
for. In the case of SOSC, I think that the organization should help the
membership identify what responsible behavior is. I think the stand should
be properly researched and the conclusions be presented to the membership
and then published. NANFA is not just an organization of hobbyists (I hope)
but an organization that is committed to maintaining biodiversity and
ecological excellence and all that means. A moratorium on collecting a SOSC
should be issued only after the species has met certain NANFA criteria that
have been agreed upon by the membership. That criteria should include (but
not limited to):

> Adherence to existing laws of each state
> Reflect the Goals of NANFA
> Reflect the bylaws of NANFA
> Reflect the consensus of the NANFA membership (boy is that a tough one!)
>
> I know that we get in heated arguments over the role of government,
environmental laws etc. Nongame Fish are our passion. Who better to sound
out with a united voice on issues regarding the objects of our passions. We
also need to decide, at some point, whether we would prefer to see the fish
in our aquariums or in nature.