Re: NANFA-- Bluenose shiner news

Steffen Hellner (steffen_at_hellner.biz)
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:48:12 +0200

Of course, some or even many species won4t be able to be saved. As I said
for Panda and tiger. Same for mussels. Even more for blue whales - they are
too big and hardly anybody on earth has a personal relation to it. They are
never seen, only for some very few people. Like bats. They live in "another"
world.

Secondly, there are too little numbers of people willing to act for captive
"preservation" (different from that in nature, only second choice but worth
it) on a long term basis.

expressed. We will loose many wild species, but not all. We will be able to
preserve many in captivity, but not all.

For the Goodeids: They are plain fish mostly, that4s what killes them -
compare Panda and tiger.

Steffen

> Von: "Bruce Stallsmith" <fundulus_at_hotmail.com>
> Antworten an: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
> Datum: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:57:08 -0400
> An: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
> Betreff: Re: NANFA-- Bluenose shiner news
>
> Well, you know, the real question is, can we defy nature's end? (to borrow
> from Stuart Pimm...) The natural world is being chopped up and dispensed
> with. The argument that species are only commodities that we should be
happy
> to trade like stamps rings hollow. A huge number of species can't be
> maintained in captivity. How many people on this list are good at keeping
> Pink Muckets, Rough Pigtoes, Cumberland Monkeyfaces or any of the other
> endangered Unionid mussels? I literally see them disappearing from the wild
> on a weekly basis. Will you also raise Anthony's River Snail, Armored
Snail,
> the Slender Campeloma, blue whales, the various Hawaiian Honeycreepers?
It's