Re: NANFA-- spawning welaka

Steffen Hellner (steffen_at_hellner.biz)
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:38:44 +0200

Geoff,

don4t restrict yourself to a lightweight. In my opinion a good breeder is
one who unites three cgaracteristics in one person:

1. Dedication to the fish he wants/has and thoroughly collect all available
information about one species, e.g. articles on breeding experiences,
biotope/climate data as complete as possible (parameters such as water,
temps, food, communities and many others).
2. The ability to abstract from the information to captive maintainance and
consquently offering the proper conditions.
3. and most important that secret "feeling" to watch, observe his fish and
deduct what they like or dislike to optimize the conditions.

I know breeders who only have point 3 and are breeding more or less any
species of fish. The very best I know share all three characteristics. Point
1 is just a point of engagement. Point 2 has to be present in some way and
may be developed by experience. Point 3 is the result of 1+2 plus a kind of
metaphysical aspect I cannot define. I think it is most probably the result
of a deep passion inside. very few people have this.

Whatever, I don4t doubt that some excellent breeders tried welaka, but from
the said above most probably none of them has/had the deep passion from
inside (please - nobody must take this personally, thanks!). Maybe it was a
challenge to breed it or something else. Or maybe one who bred it lost
interest after it as his task was fulfilled.

Finally: the only justification is success. (doesn4t this sound very much
american?;-))

Steffen

-