Re: NANFA-L-- fishing San Antonio

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:18:42 -0500

Sounds like you might be driving? In driving from Tuscon to Amarillo,
you will go pretty close to Balmorrhea -- within about 80 miles,
anyway, and what's that on a cross country trip like this? Should be
able to see (not collect) Pecos gambusia (endangered), Comanche Springs
pupfish (endangered), Roundnose minnow, the tetra and cichlid you
wanted to see, and a few others.

Fundulus zebrinus will show up in larger numbers in some of the smaller
streams, though you should get them in the Canadian. Red River pupfish
are sporadic in the Canadian, where they are non-native, but reliable
almost everywhere in smaller streams in the Red River drainage
(including the Prairie Dog Fork, about as close to Amarillo as the
Canadian is) and now in the Cimarron drainage (non-native), which you
will be pretty close to as you move across Oklahoma to the NE part of
the state. The diversity in the Illinois drainage and the Ozark portion
of the Neosho drainage is so high, that you might get many, many
minnows and darters. The Luxilus is L. cardinalis, though (Cardinal
shiner), rather than L. zonatus (bleeding shiner). Both these and L.
pilsbryi, (the other "look-alike in this trio) are illustrated in
Robison and Buchanan's _Fishes of Arkansas_. At the Illinois R.,
you'll be so close to my dissertation stream, Spring Creek of the
Neosho drainage in Cherokee and Mays Copunties that you ought to take a
look. Nocomis asper, L. cardinalis, Ethostoma craginii (Arkansas
darter), the undescribed "sunburst darter," (still being tallied as
Etheostoma punctulatum -- "stippled darter." Lots of other neat stuff.
Just don't stumble over a trout fisherman, since the state has
allowed "private" trout pollution of the creek during the last two
years. Why would anyone think a wonderful smallmouth bass stream
should have a non-native, hatchery, Purina trout chow sucking glob to
muck it up?

Have fun, Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"