Re: NANFA-L-- Brand New Member - Freshwater Shrimp?

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:33:29 -0400

And you find them in the middle of nowhere, from what I understand. I saw
them live once, on chance, that I happened to be in the Keys, talking to
some aquarium trade divers on the small key where we were staying (these
guys didn't bother with adding the tomato juice in the morning), who had an
old buddy stop by after collecting (probably questionably, since he wouldn't
let me take a picture) in the Everglades.

I looked through the genus on Natureserve. Most were ranked as S1 outside
of FL, if they were ranked-in-all, with G3 status overall. I think this is
one genus we don't know that much about, with remote habitat and cryptic
behavior. I think this is strange though, since this is such a charasmatic
animal (why wouldn't there be a specialization on them-in-U of F, and there
are multiple papers on aquaculture of the genus, albeit mainly focused on
the SE Asian species.

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com