Re: NANFA-L-- Photo Library - PHP Gallery

Peter Unmack (peter.lists-in-)
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:30:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Bruce Stallsmith wrote:

> Yeah, you beat me to it Chris. Also per Todd, having a smaller library of
> images that have been freely contributed for broad uses is way more workable
> than a larger library of restricted uses. Unless, of course, someone can
> make the commitment to wrassling with it on a regular basis and
> photographers will give us lots of images. I'll contribute such decent ones
> as I have for broad use in a free setting......

This all started off with Tom asking for more pics for the NANFA slide
library. I think that there are several ways that this can be dealt with.
We could ask folks who's images we already have if low res versions could
be put on the nanfa site. If they don't want this, then we could just
post a list of the species for which we have pictures incase any members
need them for something compatible. But, our online gallery could have
any and all of the pics that anyone cares to donate for us to use. I
think this would be a good contribution to the website. We could also
consider partnering with fishbase.org and TNHC as they are always
interested in more images too. Then of course it comes down to having
someone willing to manage all of these pictures and index/order then in
some way, ideally with captions etc etc. It could end up being a lot of
work! But it would certainly be a useful contribution that i think would
get lots of use.

BTW, it would be easy to set something up like the listing of fishes on
the TNHC website with links to a page showing whatever pics we have. Most
of this code for the main index and the picture files are generated
directly from excel. http://www.utexas.edu/tmm/tnhc/fish/na/naindex.html

Cheers
Peter