Re: NANFA-L-- euthanasia - Clove Oil

Peter Unmack (peter.lists-in-)
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:11:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Todd D. Crail wrote:

> "Much to the bane of some ichthyologists because they don't get the firm
> color reaction or extended fins because the fish aren't struggling."

I totally don't buy that argument, although I've heard it many times. My
specimens come out looking just great most of the time in terms of their
fins. Color fades anyway and I'm not really sure that dieing in formalin
really increases color any. I'd like to see someone do some comparisons
between formalin death and clove oil death to see if it really matters. I
very much doubt it. Of course, if you store you jars of formalin in the
sun / don't fill the jars up then your specimens are screwed anyway. I'm
always amazed by how few ichthyologists actually carry their specimens in
coolers. Once they get heated up for too long then you have just wasted
your time as in the long term as they don't make good specimens.

Cheers
Peter