Re: NANFA-L-- cold euthanasia

Peter Unmack (peter.lists-in-)
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:06:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 anutej-in-loxinfo.co.th wrote:

> Sorry to ask again but are you serious about hot water? Now we are
> talking about the quickest way to put fish out of misery but not
> necessarily with/without agony.

Yes, I'm serious. Whatever pain they suffer would be very very brief.
Sometimes, what I do if I need to kill a fish quickly is throw it down on
the ground very hard, or place it on the ground and stomp and grind on it
with foot. Those methods are also very quick, but a little too gruesome
for many people. But they are very quick, any suffering is very brief.

BTW, formalin is a horrible horrible way to die. I always clove oil my
specimens first whenever possible.

Cheers
Peter