Re: NANFA-L-- Scarlet shiners

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Scarlet shiners
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 11:09:24 CST

We're into the confusion of common names here I think. Yeah, I think that
scarlets and rosefins are pretty similar, but recognized as different
species. According to the new Boschung/Mayden book on Alabama, the scarlets'
range loops to the northeast from me to you in Chatt and follows the western
edge of the mountains all the way into SW Virginia, in Ranger Bob country.
So what you have in your neighborhood is now considered as the scarlet? I'm
pretty sure? The taxonomy behind splitting ardens into three species
including fasciolaris is complicated and controversial, boiled down into two
long paragraphs in Boschung/Mayden.

It's a common species that I hadn't come across recently for whatever reason
(like mostly hanging out in a different drainage this summer?). I'm happy
for the thrill of rediscovery...

--Bruce Stallsmith
the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Prizma-in-aol.com
>To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
>Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Scarlet shiners
>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:50:55 EST
>
>so bruce you found rosefin shiners?
>they should be over there. ive got them in my backyard... a small spring
>fed
>trib. we are both about on the southern edge of the range.
>rosefins take on an awesome silver / blue vertical banding pattern that
>they
>will retain in aquaria.
>casper

: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 12:41:48 CST