Re: RE: NANFA-L-- crappie feeding

Subject: Re: RE: NANFA-L-- crappie feeding
dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 10:19:45 CST

If the sunfish are truly small, only 1-2 cm, then try rich, green water for them, especially if you can be sure it is thick with rotifers, and maybe get some Daphnia. But they should learn to take flake food unless they are crappie. You should be able to tell if they are crappie, actually. The dorsal fin is higher than on Lepomis, and is set farther back on the body, its origin being-in-or slightly behind the deepest part of the body, whereas on Lepomis it is in front of the deepest part of the body. Actually, I've had crappie that learned to take flake food, but lots of people are saying otherwise, and so it must not be a guarantee.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"