Re: NANFA-L-- Brindled Madtoms & Mussels, now & flame chubs

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Brindled Madtoms & Mussels, now & flame chubs
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 19:44:41 CST

There's no reason local NANFA groups, or the national group, shouldn't seek
out grants. We have 501(c)(3) status which can make it easier to receive
money. Some of us do such work professionally, and many others have the
skills and interest to contribute to field survey work. I'm planning to do
such a survey this summer, looking for flame chubs in north Alabama
especially compared to where they've been reported in the past. I was hoping
to drag in other people to help some on this (Casper, Steven!) but I don't
have any outside money for it... but it's always possible.

And Matt you're right about window decals. Casper brought a bunch of small,
oblong NANFA stickers to Columbia last summer and I have one on the side of
my truck. It almost looks official! I'm not sure how many may still be
available.

--Bruce Stallsmith
near the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: matt ashton <ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com>
>To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
>Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Brindled Madtoms & Mussels
>Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:18:35 -0800 (PST)
>
>lol No harm no foul, I was just joking anyways about the night seining,
>that deals with a fishing license only, and I like to joke about the varied
>and sometimes vauge rules of collecting in Ohio. Which reminds me I
>abandoned my rules and regs sheet for NE ohio counties and park districts
>rather quickly...
>
>But since we have a couple people all on the same page...has this ever been
>partken by several people within NANFA and persued with a grant and
>reporting. Ohio DOW and Biological Survey small grants are often awarded to
>people and non profits. I can see reasons why not, full time jobs,
>families, basically just other major commitments, but it seems like an area
>where the non profit status can be a benefit and used advantageoulsy for
>not only the resource but for exposure and notoriety of the club itself.
>
>And getting back to the exposure of the club. I really want to bring back
>the issue of vehicle window decals. There is an ohio fishing club I belong
>to that has one, its very popular amongst members, we use it to find
>members to meet up fishing, and its advertising! Cheap to produce with a
>good printer and a way we could get some funds into the treasury.
>
>Lori Austin <providentaustin-in-yahoo.com> wrote:
>I think we are talking about the same thing...but, the night sampling was
>done strictly to find the Northern Madtom...as far as seining-in-night, I
>have a statewide scientific collecting permit and the folks that got the
>brindleds ...DNAP is Division of Natural Areas and Preserves...they look-in-
>night for northerns. For some reason the riffles were loaded with YO
>previous Y brindles when I was out in spring. I am positive they were not
>northerns. In fact a had to take a few back to make absolutely certain.
>I am not like TC...he can look-in-the seine from 30 feet away and tell
>whether you have a mimic or a sand. Northerns have not been documented
>from the Little Muskingum. I hope to find them.
>
>We are to get one inch tommorow...the river will be up and rolling brown
>for a week or so.l
>
>good evening fellas
>
>Tom W. ... I will get a jpeg of my E. masquinongy ohioensis to send you
>along with my modified flies and techniques.

: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 12:42:02 CST