Re: { SPAM 1 }::Re: NANFA-L-- RE: Catfish taxonomy

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:25:11 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, John Knight wrote:

> In regard to the capitalization of families, I should point out that
> even if ASIH does not require caps on families, most other texts do

Sorry, should have been more specific. Full scientific family names
are always capitalized (e.g., Ictaluridae versus ictalurids). But the
word family is never capitalized (e.g., you would say family Ictaluridae,
although the ending idae by default indicates it is an animal family,
plants always end in ceae, thus you don't really need to say family-in-all
unless it is a lay audience). Common names of families are always
pluralized (unless only one species occurs in the family) and everyone
except ASIH does not capitalize common species or family names in fishes.

Tootles
Peter Unmack
Canadian River, Oklahoma
/ http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html To subscribe,