Re: NANFA-L-- signipinnis spawned.

matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:48:05 -0800 (PST)

The funniest part of all is I wasn't trying to spawn them-in-all, I was bringing a pair of Bloodfin darters into condition to spawn and I really had it set up more for them, the dace just beat them to it. Seeing as though I only had a 1:1 I didn't think much would happen either. I have some fine gravel with larger piece (.5in) on top so there is plenty of spots to fall into for eggs and I see all 4 fish nipping in crevices. I haven't seen any eggs deposited or in the substrate. They had no light, really just hit or miss sunlight from the side, The temp cylce was kinda natural, but no where near as low as it is here right now, and the only flow I have is a power filter on the side falling onto a stack of slab rocks. Anytime I put a powerhead on they just took refuge under a log. My male is back in color and they seem to be-in-it again behaviorly, though the female looks awfully skinny now. I am going to try and take a few more vid clips tonight if they are still-in-it when I get
home tonight.

My biggest problem is I have no where to put the Bloodfins. I could put them in my 55 community but then theyd be there forever and I was really intent on spawning them. I might ditch that, they should be 1 year olds, so they might not spawn anyways, and get me some more mature fish in the spring. I also have a nice stock of SRBD about 5 minutes away to change my sex ratio and I might try that in a week or so.

Matt
Cookeville, TN

geoffrey kimber <gkimber2-in-gmail.com> wrote:
I have successfully bred SRBDs by creating an artificial stoneroller
nest in the tank and then pulling the adults out after they seem to
have bred.

I usually have 2 makes to 3 females in a 20 gallon long with no plants
and a good current. I like to keep some pretty fine gravel in the
tank and then add some 1/4 to 1/2 inch stones and push them down into
the gravel to make a depression about 8 inches across on one side of
the tank.

After the adults are taken out, I take the fiter out and replace it
with a seasoned sponge filter using an airstone to keep the filer
volume low. I feed the fry powdered flake once they leave the nest.

in the past, I have had over 100 fry result from 5 fish. Last year, I
only had about 50. My fish are currently having a short day cycle and
it's cold to try to fake them out that it's winter. In a few weeks, I
will lengthen the day period and set the tank back up and see what
happens.

Geoff Kimber
Fredericksburg, va