NANFA-L-- Re: nanfa-l-digest V1 #303

Gerald Pottern (gbpottern-in-yahoo.com)
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:08:06 -0700 (PDT)

--0-538480779-1121350086=:66484

Peter, et al - Regarding the repetitious coding crap in the digest:
I think we all appreciate deeply what you & others do for our list, for NANFA, and for aquatic habitat consciousness. I presume the "crap" comment was meant to express irritation-in-the problem, not a criticism of our dedicated volunteers. I too prefer the daily digest, and yes it is annoying to search out the new messages among all the old text and coding.

So here's a suggestion: Can you (or someone) give me & our other users that are not-too-Yahoo-savvy a few simple rules on HOW to reply without constipating our digest ? Maybe we could insert this "Message Response Guidelines" like a sticky note-in-the top of every daily digest. ??? (I hope i did my part by deleting everything EXCEPT the message i'm responding to)

Gerald Pottern
Hangin on the Neuse
Wake Forest NC

nanfa-l-digest <owner-nanfa-l-digest-in-nanfa.org> wrote:
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:22:12 -0500 (CDT)
From: Peter Unmack <peter.lists at>
Subject: Re: FW: NANFA-L-- Re: nanfa-l-digest V1 #301

> By the way, what the hell is all that background repeating of
> message content with coding on the nanfa digest.

That hell is all of the crap that some people's email programs insert
into email messages that are usually hidden, but in digest form it is all
forwarded as one message, and thus gets interpreted as text. Yes, it
would be nice if people didn't sent messages in html format, and that
they trimmed previous posts when they reply, but that will never happen.
I have been intending to install demime to strip all of this garbage
out for a long time, but haven't had time due to my current focus on
getting my phd completely finished up. Once that is done (shortly) then I will
make some effort to clean up the digest version.

Please don't take the work some of us do behind the scenes for granted,
NANFA has lost too many good _productive_ members to unwarrented
criticisms. I have no problem with someone asking about these things,
especially when done in a non-accusational manner. And yes, I might be
overly sensitive on some of these matters, but that's my prerogative.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Red River, Oklahoma

http://mail.yahoo.com
--0-538480779-1121350086=:66484

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Peter,&nbsp;et al -&nbsp; Regarding the repetitious coding crap in the digest:</DIV>
<DIV>I think we all appreciate deeply what you &amp; others do for our list, for&nbsp;NANFA, and for aquatic habitat consciousness.&nbsp; I presume&nbsp;the "crap" comment was meant to express irritation-in-the problem, not a criticism of our dedicated volunteers.&nbsp; I too prefer the daily digest, and yes it is annoying to&nbsp;search out&nbsp;the new messages among all the old text and coding.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So here's a suggestion:&nbsp; Can you (or someone) give me &amp; our other users&nbsp;that are not-too-Yahoo-savvy&nbsp; a few simple rules on HOW to reply without constipating our digest ?&nbsp;&nbsp; Maybe we could insert this "Message Response Guidelines" like a sticky note-in-the top of every daily digest. ???&nbsp; (I hope i did my part by deleting everything EXCEPT the message i'm responding to)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gerald Pottern<BR>Hangin on the Neuse</DIV>
<DIV>Wake Forest NC</DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>nanfa-l-digest &lt;owner-nanfa-l-digest-in-nanfa.org&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:22:12 -0500 (CDT)<BR>From: Peter Unmack &lt;<A href="http://us.f326.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=peter.lists at&amp;YY=66243&amp;order=down&amp;sort=date&amp;pos=0&amp;view=a&amp;head=b"><FONT color=#003399>peter.lists at</FONT></A>&gt;<BR>Subject: Re: FW: NANFA-L-- Re: nanfa-l-digest V1 #301<BR><BR>&gt; By the way, what the hell is all that background repeating of<BR>&gt; message content with coding on the nanfa digest.<BR><BR>That hell is all of the crap that some people's email programs insert <BR>into email messages that are usually hidden, but in digest form it is all<BR>forwarded as one message, and thus gets interpreted as text.&nbsp; Yes, it<BR>would be nice if people didn't sent messages in html format, and that <BR&
--0-538480779-1121350086=:66484--