Re: NANFA-L-- Interesting news article

Jerry Baker (nanfa-in-bakerweb.biz)
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:47:39 -0700

Brian J. Torreano wrote:
> Gerald,
> After further review, you are right about that part of my argument.
> However, they busted him for importing the fish within the last
> couple of years and the article says that he imported them 15 years
> ago. Wouldn't that be "ex post facto"?

Mr. Ly claims he imported them 15 years ago. That's an important
distinction. I don't think it's an established fact. If he did, the
State of Maine will not be able to prove that he imported them after the
ban. That's why we have due process. Luckily, importing koi is not
considered an act of terror. If it were, he could face imprisonment
without trial.